|Page (1) of 1 - 02/13/18||email article||print page|
Shortlist Announced for the 2018 Lionel Gelber Prize
TORONTO and WASHINGTON, Feb. 13, 2018 /PRNewswire/ - Jury Chair Janice Stein announces five finalists for the 2018 Lionel Gelber Prize:
- Destined for War: Can America and China Escape Thucydides's Trap? By Graham Allison, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
- Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine by Anne Applebaum, published by Signal/McClelland & Stewart
- The Future of War: A History by Lawrence Freedman, published by PublicAffairs/Hachette Book Group
- The Internationalists: How a Radical Plan to Outlaw War Remade the World by Oona A. Hathaway and Scott J. Shapiro, published by Simon & Schuster
- Asia's Reckoning: China, Japan, and the Fate of U.S. Power in the Pacific Century by Richard McGregor, published by Viking/Penguin Random House
Janice Stein, Jury Chair (Toronto, Canada) is joined by distinguished jurors Ramachandra Guha (Bengaluru, India), Desmond King (Oxford, England), David M. Malone (Tokyo, Japan), and Jeannette Money (California, USA).
The Lionel Gelber Prize Podcast series features all five of this year's finalists in conversation with Robert Steiner, Founder of the Fellowships in Global Journalism at the Munk School of Global Affairs. Special thanks to funding media partner Focus Asset Management for their support of these podcasts, available on iTunes.
Key Dates: The 2018 winner will be announced on March 13 and invited to speak at a free public event at Toronto's Munk School of Global Affairs on April 17, 2018.
The Lionel Gelber Prize, a literary award for the world's best non-fiction book in English on foreign affairs that seeks to deepen public debate on significant international issues, was founded in 1989 by Canadian diplomat Lionel Gelber. A cash prize of $15,000 is awarded to the winner. The award is presented annually by The Lionel Gelber Foundation, in partnership with Foreign Policy magazine and the Munk School of Global Affairs.
SOURCE Munk School of Global Affairs
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved