|Page (1) of 1 - 06/04/14||email article||print page|
Two US Landfalls Predicted For 2014 Atlantic Storm Season; Verizon Wireless Network Prepared To Serve Gulf Coast Customers
NEW ORLEANS, June 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --AccuWeather.com predicts 10 named tropical storms, five hurricanes and two major hurricanes for the Atlantic Ocean in 2014 and anticipates two storms to make landfall in the United States.
Verizon Wireless invested more than $47 million across the Gulf Coast from Lake Charles to the Florida Panhandle, last year to strengthen and enhance its wireless network, ensuring residents comprehensive, reliable wireless coverage in the case of severe weather, and every day.
Network enhancements since last year's storm season include the expansion of Verizon's newest technology known as XLTE to New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Mobile and Pensacola - as well as other locations to boost 4G LTE network capacity and enhance high-speed services for customers. XLTE technology is particularly effective in enhancing wireless network performance in settings with a concentrated group of high-data demand customers.
Verizon Wireless has "super-switch" network processing centers across the Gulf Coast, which are designed to withstand Category 5 hurricanes. With hardened shells, these facilities also feature large-scale on-site power generation for use in the event of a commercial power outage, various redundant operations and technologies, and other back-up systems to ensure the company's network remains strong, running and reliable in the event of an emergency.
"We know connectivity is critical to residents along the Gulf Coast, especially during severe weather events like hurricanes," said Krista Bourne, president of the Houston/Gulf Coast region for Verizon Wireless. "We are committed to maintaining the strongest infrastructure and providing the best, most reliable services to our customers in any situation. Our continued investment in and enhancements to the nation's largest 4G LTE network prove our unwavering support of our customers."
Other ongoing efforts to ensure a reliable network during the storm season and year-round include:
- A comprehensive emergency response plan, including preparing emergency command centers across Texas in the case of a storm or other crisis.
- Network technicians, who serve as the inspiration for the famous TV Test Man commercials, travel hundreds of thousands of miles across the Gulf Coast in high-tech vehicles to measure the quality of Verizon Wireless voice and data service calls all across the state.
- The company has a fleet of dozens of Cells on Wheels (COWS), Cells on Light Trucks (COLTS), and generators on trailers (GOaTS) that can be rolled into hard-hit locations or areas that need extra network capacity.
- Pre-arranging fuel delivery to mobile units and generators to keep the network operating at full strength even if power is lost for an extended period of time.
- Erecting new digital cell sites, of which about 95 percent have their own on-site back-up generators to extend their power-generating capacity in the event of a commercial power outage.
These initiatives are part of a national network investment to increase the coverage and capacity of Verizon's premier nationwide network, and to add new services.
For more information on the Verizon Wireless network, products and services, visit www.verizonwireless.com.
For Verizon Wireless Updates on Twitter
Stay in the know about Verizon Wireless across the Gulf Coast by following @VZWGretchen on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWGretchen. For the latest on products, corporate initiatives and perspectives, follow @VZWNews at http://twitter.com/VZWnews.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest and most reliable 4G LTE network. As the largest wireless company in the U.S., Verizon Wireless serves 103.3 million retail customers, including 97.3 million retail postpaid customers. Verizon Wireless is wholly owned by Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. For the latest news and updates about Verizon Wireless, visit our News Center at http://www.verizonwireless.com/news or follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/VZWNews.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Related Keywords:Broadcast, Post/Production, Digital, Production/Post, Facility (Post Production), Commercials, USA, Inc., Television, Other,