|Page (1) of 1 - 06/13/14||email article||print page|
SABC Education African EduWeek offers teachers support and innovative ideas for the classroom in July"Interactive conference and expo to empower through technology and interaction" (June 13, 2014)
Says African EduWeek event director Tanya Jackman: "we?re very proud of our speaker line-up that offers inspirational messages, best practice sharing and success stories from South Africa, the continent and further abroad. The African EduWeek conference sessions focus on challenges and breakthroughs in Basic and Higher Education, Technology in the classroom and Inclusivity."
She adds: "teachers will also be able to attend free, practical and hands-on workshops which train and enhance their teaching skills in the classroom and enhancing the learning experience of their students. They will also focus on the issues which teachers face every day such as overcrowding, safety & security, teaching in a school with a multitude of languages and lack of infrastructure."
Many well-known suppliers to the education sector are supporting the event, particularly Intel who is the diamond sponsor. Says Andre Christian, Education Business Development Manager at Intel: "There is a need to ensure teachers are able, skilled and confident to teach using technology. Integrating technology into teaching and learning has the potential to enable equal access to quality education resources. If we want all the children of South Africa to have access to quality education, it implies that they should have access to technology to enable this engagement."
Other sponsors are Pearson, Samsung, Dell and Compute.
Some African EduWeek conference highlights:
Opening session: Chairman: Graeme Bloch, Independent Education Specialist
? Why teacher education should include neuroscience
Dr Judy Willis, Neurologist turned classroom teacher, United States of America
? African Education Update: Is Africa?s education potential beyond the Millennium Development Goals being met?
Panel of experts includes:
- Prof. Rehabeam Auala, Professor of Educational Management and Leadership, University of Namibia, Namibia
- Marius Ehrenreich, President, South Africa Principles Association, South Africa
? Breaking boundaries and reaching your full potential
Sheri Brynard, Teacher, South Africa ? first person with Downs syndrome to qualify as a teacher
More African EduWeek sessions to look forward to:
- School leadership: How to empower teachers to deliver quality education
* Chairperson: Daya Chetty, Principal, Laudium Secondary School & Gauteng SAPA President, South Africa
* Addressing the shortage of skilled teachers
Gizelle McIntyre, Director, Institute People Development, South Africa
* Educational leadership in the beyond zone: The eighth dimension approach
Erich Cloete, Principal, Laerskool Westerlig, South Africa
- The Africa maths and science renaissance: Let it begin
* How to engage learners in subjects they perceive as difficult
Stephen Taylor, Advisor and Researcher, Department of Basic Education, South Africa
* Africa?s maths and science at 1000 mph, BLOODHOUND SSC
Christopher Maxwell, STEM Product Manager, Edit Microsystems, South Africa
- Educating in today?s social and economic climate: Best approaches for educational challenges?
* Panellist: Tshepo Motsepe, Co?Head Gauteng, Equal Education, South Africa
- Knowledge grazing in a soundbite generation & embrace ICT to enhance teaching and learning
* Workshop facilitator: Jaye Richards?Hill, Director, Education Technology and Training, Tablet Academy Africa/Middle East, South Africa
- E-learning, the education evolution: The A-Z of e-learning
* Chairperson: Kobus Van Wyk, Head of e-learning, Mustek, South Africa
- Breakthroughs in technology for inclusive education
* Workshop facilitator: Gerhard Erasmus, Blindness and Low Vision Sales and Support, Edit Microsystems, South Africa
- Technical and vocational education and training colleges ? new and improved?
* Gerda Magnus, Department of Higher Education and Training, Project Manager, Curriculum and Programmes Support to FET Colleges
- A guide to creating online educational resources for your lessons
* Lulu Burger, iPad Training Manager, Apple, South Africa
- Strategies to develop your learner?s literacy skills ? the foundation to all subjects
* Tessa Harmse, English Teacher, HoŽrskool Grens, Centurion, South Africa
Free workshop sessions on the expo floor include:
- Capturing and sustaining student?s attention - Dr Judy Willis, neurologist turned classroom teacher, Santa Barbara, USA
- Digital game-based learning in educational settings - Fikile Mposula, Lecturer at Vaal University of Technology, South Africa
- Bridging the learning gap through the use of one laptop in the classroom - Jane Zwane, Ekukhanyisweni Primary School, Alexandra, South Africa
- Enabling teachers to teach in a classroom of the future - Beverley Wharton-Hood, Head of Learning Innovation: Post School, Pearson, South Africa
African EduWeek dates and location:
Expo and conference: 10-11 July
Pre-conference: 9 July 2014
Venue: Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa
Communications manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Telephone : +27 21 700 3558
Mobile: +27 82 562 7844
Related Keywords:African EduWeek, Johannesburg, South Africa, Tanya Jackman, technology in the classroom, Intel, Andre Christian, enpowering teachers, Sandton Convention Centre, diamond sponsorship
Source:Digital Media Online. All Rights Reserved