|Page (1) of 1 - 09/04/14||email article||print page|
A new biography, Dr. Mütter's Marvels, which details the life of Dr. Mütter, who transformed monsters into men with cutting edge surgery, is on-sale today.(September 04, 2014)
New York, NY (PRWEB) September 04, 2014
Based on 15 years of research and illustrated with dozens of historical (and exclusive) photographs, DR. MÜTTERS MARVELS: A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine (Gotham; September 4, 2014) delves deep into the life of a man who was truly ahead of his time.
Written by poet and author Cristin OKeefe Aptowicz, the book reveals Mütters early years as an orphan and time spent studying cutting-edge surgery in Paris, to his struggles to establish himself in Philadelphia amidst the outrageous rivalries among his fellow doctorsmany of whom publicly mocked Mütters philosophies and innovations, including his devotion to pre-and post-operative care, employing anesthesia, and even the sterilization of his tools.
The deluxe eBook edition of DR. MÜTTERS MARVELS includes over one hour of audio in which author Cristin OKeefe Aptowicz shares facts, stories and insights about Dr. Mütter and his contemporaries that she discovered in her research but didnt make it into the printed book.
Through Mütters humanist eyes, we are given a front row seat to the evolution of American medicine: from bleedings and leechings to the standardization of medical schools; from the discovery of anesthesia to his communitys frustrating resistance to washing hands and sterilizing tools; from the unimaginable medical cases provoked from the rise of industrialism, to the challenges and innovations birthed as the country marched toward the Civil War.
Although he only lived for 47 years, Mütters impact within medicine is still felt, and his legacy lives on with his enormously popular namesake museum. And now, with DR. MÜTTERS MARVELS, his strange, inspiring and untold story can finally be shared.
**Read the Wall Street Journals front page review of Dr. Mütters Marvels.
**USA Today mentions Dr. Mütter in The Week in Books.
**A.V Club calls Dr. Mütters Marvels narrative non-fiction at its best.
**Read the Asbury Park Press interview with Cristin OKeefe Aptowicz.
**BookPage reviews Dr. Mütters Marvels, calling it an insightful portrait of a pioneering surgeon and a reminder of how far medicine has come.
**Read Library Journal's starred review in the September 1st issue.
**Publishers Weekly announced Dr. Mütters Marvels in Galley Talk.
**Read the Publishers Weekly starred review of Dr. Mütters Marvels, calling Aptowiczs writing as full of life as her subject.
**Read Kirkus Reviews starred review of Dr. Mütters Marvels, the author provides an absorbing account of the charismatic surgeons life and career as well as a vivid look at the medical practices and prejudices of his time.
**Mashable writes If You Think 'The Knick' Patients Have it Bad ... Go Back 50 Years.
**Read the Metro Philadelphia interview with Cristin OKeefe Aptowicz
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Cristin OKeefe Aptowicz is the author of six books of poetry (most recently, The Year of No Mistakes) as well as the nonfiction book, Words In Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam, which Billy Collins wrote leaves no doubt that the slam poetry scene has achieved legitimacy and taken its rightful place on the map of contemporary literature.
On the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) podcast Art Works, host Josephine Reed introduced Cristin as being something of a legend in NYCs slam poetry scene. She is lively, thoughtful, and approachable looking to engage the audience with her work and deeply committed to the community that art can create.
In July 2010, she was named the 2010-2011 ArtsEdge Writer-in-Residence at the University of Pennsylvania, where she spent the year researching and writing a book on Thomas Dent Mütter, founder of the Philadelphias (in)famous Mütter Museum. She would also be awarded a 2011 National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship in Poetry and an Amy Clampitt House residency, both of which helped to support the finishing of this book.
CATCH CRISTIN ON TOUR IN 2014
- 9/4/14, Philadelphia, PA: Book Release
- 9/5/14, Philadelphia, PA: The Rotunda
- 9/8/14, Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania
- 9/9/14, New York, NY: Urbana Poetry Slam
- 9/10/14 (noon), West Windsor, NJ: Mercer College
- 9/10/14 (7pm), Brooklyn, NY: Morbid Anatomy Museum
- 9/13/14, New York, NY: Magnet Theater
- 9/15/14 (1-3pm), Reddit.com: Reddit AMA
- 9/16/14, Philadelphia, PA: Free Library of Philadelphia
- 9/19/14, Austin, TX: Bookpeople
- 9/24/14, Columbus, OH: Writer's Block Poetry Slam
- 9/25/14, Columbus, OH: Writer's Block Workshop
- 9/26/14, Columbus, OH: Book Loft
- 9/28/14, Ann Arbor, MI: Nicola's Bookstore
- 10/4/14, Chicago, IL: Quimby's Bookstore
- 10/5/14, Chicago, IL: Green Mill Poetry Slam
- 10/11/14, Minneapolis, MN: Encyclopedia Show
- 10/13/14, Minneapolis, MN: Magers & Quinn Bookseller
- 10/14/14, Minneapolis, MN: Storytelling Show
- 10/15/14, Minneapolis, MN: The Loft Literary Center
- 10/16/14, Mankato, MN: University of MN, Mankato
- 10/17/14, Omaha, NE: Louder than a Bomb Workshop
- 10/18/14, Omaha, NE: The Bookworm
- 10/18/14, Omaha, NE: Louder than a Bomb Fundraiser
- 10/20/14, Iowa City, IA: Prairie Lights Bookstore
- 10/25/14, Austin, TX: Texas Book Festival
- 10/26/14, Austin, TX: Texas Book Festival
- 11/3/14, Portland, OR: Powell's City of Books
- 11/4/14, Seattle, WA: Seattle Poetry Slam
- 11/5/14, Seattle, WA: Rain City Poetry Slam
- 11/8/14, Seattle WA: Elliott Bay Book Company
- 11/12/14, Vancouver, CANADA: Vancouver Poetry Slam
- 11/13/14, Vancouver, CANADA: Book Warehouse
978-1592408702 | 384 pp
Also available as Penguin Random House Digital Audio
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014-08-Dr_Mutters_Marvel/Aptowicz/prweb12073694.htm.